Sunday, December 27, 2009

Goofy Memories

A couple of blogger friends, Brian Flash and Marlene, are getting ready to run the Goofy in a couple weeks. This consists of running the Disney Half Marathon on Saturday and the Disney Marathon on Sunday. I started this blog just two weeks after Disney 2009, so I haven't forced my Disney story on you yet.

The Goofy fills up quickly, so Mike and I registered for the 2009 events as soon as registration opened in 2008. Mike signed up for the Goofy and I signed up for the Marathon. I was in the early stages of training for my first Fargo Marathon and I had also already registered for the Twin Cities 2008 Marathon. Before running farther than 15 miles, I had committed to running three marathons in 9 months. You can see where this is going.

By the time Disney rolled around in early January, I was dealing with shin splints and decided that I would just run half of the marathon. The actual Half Marathon was full and they wouldn't let me transfer to that race, so on marathon day I crossed the timing mat at the half marathon mark and walked off the course. After a short walk, I boarded the monorail and rode it back to Epcot to the finish area to wait for Mike.

While I was waiting, I figured I would go to the medical tent at the finish and get some ice for my shins. The medical tent was huge with probably 100 cots and at least 2 medical people standing by each cot. As I walked in, every person in the tent looked up and started applauding. I was the first woman racer they had seen that day and I'm sure they thought I was one of the elite females if not the female winner. I had to yell to the whole tent that, no, I was injured and had taken the monorail. Of course, once they came to their senses and really looked at me, I'm sure they would have figured out on their own that something was up.

So that is my goofy Disney story. I didn't get a medal and I can't wear the t-shirt, but I did get a standing ovation from the medical tent. Not finishing that race was a tough decision to make, one that I made with my head and not my heart. In retrospect, I think it was a smart choice. I ran Fargo 2009 well and with no serious pain. I think I will have to revisit the Magic Kingdom at some point and get that medal, even if there is no applause.

21 comments:

Julie said...

Good morning Beth,
I love your funny story....you will always be able to look back on that Goofy experience/story and be able to salvage humor and a standing ovation:) It sure sounds like you and your husband are able to travel alot and run in different places! I love it and hope to some day do the same!!

SteveQ said...

Great story! My only medical tent story was from a marathon where I was the only person hospitalized (didn't know I was running with mono). I thought I got nothing for all my effort, only to find a picture of me, IV in arm, on the cover of the results booklet.

Chad said...

Hey Beth, if you do the City of Lakes Loppet 10K be sure to start near the front because there's a bridge near the start that's a huge bottleneck.

Jean said...

What a fantastic story! That is really funny, Beth! Good stuff.

Hope you are enjoying the holidays. Have you had your cross country skis out yet? My goodness, did we get a lot of snow here!

Londell said...

Great post... The applause was for being a smart runner, knowing your limits and doing the right thing for you. Bravo.

Love to Run said...

I ran the Disney Marathon twice including 1 Goof. They run their medical tent very well. I needed 3 ice bags the first year, 1 for each calf and 1 for a quad that all seized up in the last mile and they were very efficient.

Try to get back there if you can. I loved it and am planning on a return trip in 2 years, if funds accumulate correctly. I will have to take all my princesses with me.

Thanks for the story though. I love any Disney Marathon stories.

Heather said...

I love that the med people thought you were an elite, too funny!

i would love to run goofy someday . . . maybe once my daughter is old enough to come with and enjoy Disney world!

Velma said...

Great story. At least you got a nice break from the MN weather. I will have to think about Goofy someday!

BrianFlash said...

Your signing up for multiple marathons before running one reminds me of my reintroduction to running. I had signed up for Austin, St. Louis, and Marine Corps before running a single marathon. And after Austin (which I suffered thru with a sore IT band), I was signed up for five more marathons (and a sixth, New York, I had to defer entry because Jason didn't get in).

Complete. Insanity.

Mike Russell said...

Great story. You should have just raised your hand and waved just a little. That would have been cool

Trishie said...

Great story indeed ! you gotta go finish that race now, though ! ;)

AZ said...

Nice story. I was way to intimidated to even think about more than 1 marathon at a time.

Julie said...

Greetings Beth,
I was wondering if you are still planning on running in the Polar Dash on Friday? It is supposed to be like 5 to 10 below zero.....Yikes!! I will probably still show up and run...I want my medal:) I am unsure how many layers to put on, I don't want to freeze nor do I want to over heat. What do you think?

I Run for Fun said...

Hey, a standing ovation is a standing ovation! You did the smart thing and quit that day. I am sure you will be back and kick a$$ when you do.

Wish you a fabulous New Year!!!

Jill said...

I love your Goofy story. You'll get back there eventually and get that medal, I'm certain! Happy 2010 to you...may your mile be strong and healthy!!

Julie said...

Beth,
I am going to suck it up and be there for the Polar Dash tomorrow! I will most likely be wearing my U of M jacket or my bright blue Nike jacket. Let me know what you will be wearing so that I can look for you. My daughter is not running...she has a sleep over party tonight! Hope to see you tomorrow!

Julie said...

My bib number is 189. I am just trying to figure out where and the heck to park! Suggestions? I don't want to have to walk a long way to get the the hospital. Looking at the map....there doesn't seem to be anything real close.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Awwww, sucks that you ended up in the med tent, cute story though!! When I got to the med tent during my marathon attempt, it looked more like a M.A.S.H. unit.... the walking wounded, no one applauding. With all the training under your best now, you should go redo that race at some point! Happy New Year! All the best in 2010 :)

Helen said...

What a great story!! I mean, not fun that you had shin issues - but fun memories of the medical tent! Happy New Year! And well done on getting out there today for the race...

chris mcpeake said...

great post
good luck in the New Year

smith rose said...

Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Extended Download includes all the features and functionality of Acrobat 9 Pro, plus the ability to unify the widest range of content in a PDF Portfolio, create interactive presentations with Adobe Presenter software, easily convert and share video in PDF, create PDF maps, convert virtually any 2D and 3D designs to PDF, and enjoy expanded 3D capabilities with the new Adobe 3D Reviewer.