Monday, January 26, 2009

Taking it Inside

I'm a pretty hardy soul, but the temperature when I got up this morning was negative 15 degrees. My Plan B for Mondays is to go to the dome. There is a nice artificial turf track and plenty of obstacles (older walkers) to keep things interesting. Here is what it looked like when I got there:

The inside is netted off for soccer and other activities. Today, it was set up for pre-schooler play time. Not too many pre-schoolers when I got there, but it was pretty busy when I was done.

On my calendar was my first "speed" workout. When I first started running, my plan was simply to run. When I decided to train for my first marathon, I modified my plan to run far. That plan was only moderately successful. I did finish my first marathon, but with a whole lot of walking involved. For my second marathon I enlisted the help of a coach who wanted to complicate things by introducing things like intervals, stretching, weight training, and even more running into the plan. This resulted in a better second marathon effort. My coach and his fancy-dancy schedule won my allegiance and are both in full employ for this round of training.

The four miles with a few pick-ups went by quickly and it was a balmy +3 degrees by the time I left. Let's hope the heat wave continues!

1 comment:

Porkchopwi said...

Beth:
Welcome to the world of the blog and best of luck with your week and season of fresh starts!

Nate